Most of the stained glass windows of St. Barnabas were originally crafted by the Louis Comfort Tiffany and J. & R. Lamb studios in the late 1800s and early 1900. St. Barnabas has a historical link to Tiffany and several windows are attributed to the Tiffany studio. Mary Viola Bielby, the wife of an early vicar, Rev. Charles Francis Adams Bielby, had worked as an artist in the Tiffany Studios in New York. She and Fr. Bielby initiated the purchase of the first 5 Tiffany windows for St. Barnabas in 1884-1885. J. & R. Lamb Studios, founded in 1857, is the oldest continuously operating stained glass company in the United States. Their stained glass windows can be found in churches worldwide. Research is currently underway to determine the exact origin of our older windows.
Good Shepherd, definitely made by Tiffany and originally placed on the east end of the sanctuary apse but currently on the north side.
The 4 jeweled Willard, Bielby, Wood and Hargreaves memorial windows, the first two on the south side of the nave and the other two on the north side.
Banta window on the north side of the nave and three windows placed in the baptistry in 1903
Bielby memorial window recently removed to be replaced and two smaller windows that were on each side, now made into one window and placed in the east side of the narthex.
Codrington memorial windows of the Four Evangelists, two on either side of the sanctuary.
St. Cecilia window in the south side of the sacristy, 1914.
During recent windows restoration, questions have arisen whether some windows came from the Louis Tiffany or, it now seems more likely, the J.R. Lamb Studios. The two studios shared many of the same artisans.
Good Shepherd -Calls to mind the loving care of Jesus, flanked by the Lily, symbol or Immortality, and the Glastonbury Thor, symbol of Nativity. Gift of Mrs. Charles Francis Adams Bielby and St. Barnabas Guild.
THE FOUR JEWELED WINDOWS
Willard Window-The Lamp symbolizing the Word of God with Christ’s monogram, left, and Jesus’ monogram, right. Gift of the Reverend Charles Francis Adams Bielby in memory of Xerxes Addison Willard.
Bielby Window–The Wreath and Sword symbolize Eternity and God’s judgment upon those who chose to reject Him. The Crown and Cross signify the reward of the faithful in life after death to those who believe in the crucified Savior, and the Alpha and Omega (first and last letters of the Greek alphabet) signify that Jesus is the beginning and the end of all things. Gift of the Rev. Charles Francis Adams Bielby in memory of Porteus P. Bielby.
Wood Window–The Chalice symbolizes Christ’s agony; the Dove with the Olive Branch signifies the flood and denotes peace, forgiveness and anticipation of new life, and the Crossed Fish is a symbol of St. Andrew, the first-called of the twelve disciples.
Gift of Capt. and Mrs. John B. Wood in memory of Felix (died 1865) and Mary Booth Wood ( died 1880).
Hargreaves Window-Lamb of God standing with the Banner of Victory suggesting the victorious nature of His sacrifice. The Anchor symbolizes Hope and the Crossed Keys recall Peter’s confession and our Lord’s gift to him of the Keys of the Kingdom. Gift of Captain and Mrs. John B. Wood in memory of Thomas Pitt Hargreaves (1825-1875).
The Banta Window-The Open Bible symbolizes the Word of God within the symbol for Eternity. The gift fJohn Jacob Banta in memory of Martha J. Banta, born Februag 26, 1851; died November 14, 1902.
The other know tiller windows are the three Bielby Memorials that have bed mentioned and were in the baptistry but are awaiting relocation. The remaining stained glass windows in the church are listed in the Gifts and Memorials.
The Four Evangelists: St. Matthew, St. Mark, St. Luke, St. John. The four symbolic figures show: Humanity, royalty, sacrifice, divinity, Incarnation, Resurrection, Passion, Ascension. All are shown wearing the Nimbus, emblematic of sanctity. The gift of Miss Mary Codrington in memory of Christopher C. Codrington (1825-1891), Frances C.
Codrington (1812-1906) and other family members. Also given was the St. Cecelia Window, in honor of the patroness of music, now in the sacristy.